Take a look at our Educational Activities below:
The Aerospace Educators’ Workshop
Join us for an exciting day learning how to integrate aviation, space, robotics and more into your curriculum! All K-12 teachers are invited to attend.
Begin with the thrill of being selected in a random drawing to fly with the AeroShell Aerobatic Team! Enjoy breakfast followed by the opening ceremony with special speakers to welcome you to the SUN 'n FUN Aerospace Expo. Then choose from a variety of concurrent sessions being offered throughout the morning.
This is the place to be! We will motivate and inspire you with a lot of ideas and activities to use in your classroom! Come experience STEM with us and inspire your students to reach for the stars! After all, the Sky is Just the Beginning!
2021 Presenters (Coming Soon!)
Ray Lien Award
Ray Lien was reputed as an excellent aviation educator. He envisioned an Aerospace Educators Workshop in 1988. Ray was introduced to aviation in 1925 by his Platte, South Dakota, neighbors. Ray enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in January 1942. Throughout WWII, Ray served as a Maintenance Officer in various locations, but predominantly in North Africa with B-26 and B-25 aircraft. After the war, Ray joined the Air Force Reserve, where he continued to serve in the maintenance field until his retirement as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1970.
Ray Lien earned a BS in Agricultural Engineering from South Dakota State College in 1941 and an MS in Agricultural Engineering in 1958. He actually began teaching at Purdue University in 1953, which he continued until 1987. He was one of the few Purdue University faculty to ever rise from an Instructor to Full Professor without earning a PhD. In 1988, he became Coordinator (and later Chairman) of Educational Project for SUN ‘n FUN and started the first Aerospace Educator Workshop.
In Ray’s honor, we proudly present the Ray Lien Award annually during the SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo during the Aerospace Educators Workshop. This award is given to recognize an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to aviation education.
Nomination Procedures – Deadline March 26, 2021.
- The award will be presented at SUN ‘n FUN in Lakeland, Florida during the Aerospace Educators Workshop. We request the recipient be present at the Workshop to receive the award.
- Anyone can nominate a person and it can be self-nominated. The nominator must submit a letter of support for the candidate by describing his/her contributions to aviation education.
- The recipient must agree to present a session for teachers at the following year’s workshop.
- The nomination letter of support should be emailed to Bill Yucuis no later than March 26, 2021.
RAY LIEN Award Winners
Spirit of an Educator – “Knowledge is the key to aviation’s future.”
|1998 Paul Poberezny||1999 A. Scott Crossfield||2000 Lyle R. Flagg|
|2001 Billy Henderson||2002 Gene Olson||2003 Dr. Charley Rodriguez|
|2004 Dr. Carol Denicole||2005 Barbara Walters-Phillips||2006 Greg Harbaugh|
|2007 Marie Grein||2008 Richard Ortega||2009 Chad Smith|
|2010 Barry Scharf||2011 Lori Bradner||2012 Bill Yucuis|
|2013 Joseph Oliver||2014 John Iskra||2015 Not Awarded|
|2016 George "Gabe" Gabrielle||2017 Thomas J. Sarko||2018 Mary Catherine Vaughn|
|2019 Marie Hill|
The Aerospace Center for Excellence is excited to announce Project: STRATOS 2021, an aviation-oriented arts and leadership program for high school students.
All high school aged students are eligible.
Students of Senior standing will be eligible for an opportunity to earn a training flight with Stallion 51 in a P51 Mustang.
Students of Junior standing will be eligible for enhanced recognition while Sophomore and Freshmen finalists will receive an action camera for use during the 2021 Fly-In and additional valuable prizes.
The 2021 Project: STRATOS program consists of 4 components and students are asked to participate in as many proposed programs as possible. The semi-finalists and finalists may be drawn from any of the program components.
- Write an essay on the 2021 topic: A Clear Vision of Aviation in the Future
- Submit an original work of art on the 2021 topic: A Clear Vision of Aviation in the Future
- Complete and submit certificate from FEMA independent study Course 241b or 242b (we will provide registration information)
- Attend physical activity training sessions on the ACE Campus
ANY student wishing to participate in any or all of these components should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for additional details.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Students wishing to participate in Project: STRATOS must be available the week of April 13-18-2021 to participate in the SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo. No housing, accommodations or transportation is provided.
Rewards for semi-finalists:
- Two free day of choice passes to SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo 2021
- SUN ‘n FUN keychain
- Project: STRATOS T-Shirt
Rewards for finalists:
- Possibility of a flight with an airshow performers
- Participation in the U.S. Navy Blue Angels symposium
- Camera with Memory Card
- Four (4) free week-long passes to SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo 2021
- Meet and greet / photo opportunity with aerospace industry leaders
- Project: STRATOS polo shirt and t-shirt
- SUN ‘n FUN Key Chain
- Interviews on Florida Aviation Network and SUN ‘n FUN Radio
The Project: STRATOS expression of interest to participate is November 15, 2020 but don’t wait as you’ll miss some of the component experiences.
Contact email@example.com today!!
Supported by Polk State College
SUN ‘n FUN offers tours to college, K-12 school, home school, church, family, and scouting groups. During these tours, students, teachers, and chaperones have the opportunity to see one of the largest aviation events in the world. Our interactive walking tour may include flying aircraft demonstrations, historic aircraft, forums, high-tech ultralight and light sport aircraft, warbird airplanes, a museum visit and more.
Destinations at the SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo 2021 may include:
- Piedmont Aerospace Lab is the first stop and check in as you arrive for your tour.
- Our STEMtastic Youth Tent this year will feature STEM demonstrations which may include: 3D printers, drones, robotics and more.
- Paradise City, a grass runway and exhibitors showcasing Light Sport Aircraft (LSA), Ultralights, and Rotorcraft.
- Vintage Aircraft featuring the rare and unusual from the Golden Age of aviation.
- Warbird Aircraft shows the history of aviation in ways rarely found in a textbook.
- Enjoy the Warbirds and honor the brave people who flew them.
- Tour the Piedmont Aerospace Experience, a functioning Boeing 727-200 Airliner in the livery of Piedmont Airlines.
- Florida Air Museum
Important Registration and Payment Information
SUN ‘n FUN is offering group rates to educational organizations that wish to attend our annual fundraiser. Educational organizations include public and private schools, colleges as well as homeschooling groups.
Our group rates are available to groups of 15 or more. All group rates MUST be reserved and paid in advance
(PAYMENT DEADLINE IS FRIDAY, APRIL 2, 2021)
- Pre-registration with advance ticket purchase is required.
- Pre-registration forms and payment must be received by 04-2-2021.
- Before paying, please complete the form below.
Discovery Tour (NO WRISTBANDS)
- Group Rate $25.00
Discovery Tour (WITH SAME DAY WRISTBANDS)
- Child (6 and under) = FREE
- Youth/Students (7-17) = $10.00
- **OR students enrolled in a public/private or home school group who are 18 years of age
- Adults (18 and up) = $25.00
If you have further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org